WHAT ITEMS DO YOU ACCEPT?
DIRECTIONS & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DONATING (PLEASE READ BELOW)
Donations may be taken to our workspace on Sunday from 1-5pm, Wednesday from 6-8pm and Friday from 3-7pm.
- For the sake of time it is suggested that you organize or sort your donations in a manner that makes categorization easy.
- If you are wanting a tax receipt, it is advised to have a written list of the items in question that are being donated; this will make your donation time quicker and will help our volunteers efficinently sort items.
- When you arrive, drive around to garage door #9 at the back of the building.
- Please ring the heart shaped doorbell (or knock loudly if the bell does not induce a timely response) on the garage door and a volunteer will be able to carry your equipment into the building and print a receipt (if needed).
- If you represent an organization or business with a large amount of hardware to donate, please contact us to arrange a pick-up or drop-off.
Businesses with larger donations may email for a pick-up: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not leave donations outside of our building! Dumping is illegal!!
Map showing where we are located and the proper place to donate.
WHAT HAPPENS TO MY COMPUTER?
When you donate your computer to Free I.T. Athens, our volunteers remove its hard drive and put the drive through a data wiping process using free software called DBAN. DBAN removes data by writing random numbers to the disk.
After your data has been wiped from the hard drive volunteers will refurbish your computer using a free operating system called Linux Mint. Your computer will either be granted to a volunteer for completing community service, sold to an individual or family that cannot afford a new computer, or granted to a non-profit organization/community group. If your computer cannot be refurbished, it will be recycled through an e-Stewards certified recycler. Don’t donate to those other guys, they could be shipping e-waste overseas to be dumped!
HAVE SOME SPARE CASH? PUT IT TO GOOD USE!
Monetary donations are sincerely appreciated. You may donate via cash, check or card during our open hours, via mail (please mail donations to P.O. Box 81931 Athens, GA 30608), or electronic funds transfer. You may also donate using a credit card through the PayPal “Donate” button on the right hand side of this page.
Your donation will make a direct impact as we have absolutely no paid staff. We thank you for donating to Free I.T. Athens.
Free IT Athens, Inc. is a recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (EIN # 27-2381518) so your donations made are tax deductible. We do not valuate donations made.
We’ve registered with the AmazonSmile program, where Amazon donates “0.5% of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to charitable organizations selected by [you].” You can help us by shopping through http://smile.amazon.com/ and selecting Free I.T. Athens as the charity to donate to every time you order something from Amazon! Thank you for your support.
DID YOU KNOW?
- It takes 539 lbs of fossil fuel, 48 lbs of chemicals, and 1.5 tons of water to manufacture a single computer and monitor.1
- E-waste is the fastest growing municipal waste stream in America.2
- E-waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, however, equals 70% of overall toxic waste. Toxic chemicals found in electronics can damage the central and peripheral nervous systems, blood and kidneys.3
- 20 to 50 million metric tons of e-waste are disposed worldwide every year. 4
- Each year, 80 to 85% of electronics are thrown away.5
Toner leaking into a stream. Guiyu, China (aka the ‘E-waste Graveyard’). (Photo Courtesy: BASEL ACTION NETWORK, CC-BY-ND 2.0)
Laborer dismantling toner cartridges. Guiyu, China (aka the ‘E-waste Graveyard’). (Photo Courtesy: BASEL ACTION NETWORK, CC-BY-ND 2.0)
Reduce, Re-use, Recycle, Recover.