Give e-waste new life
Bring your used tech (and more!) to Free I.T. Athens and we’ll either put it to good use or ensure it is recycled responsibly. We’re currently offering donation drop offs on Saturdays from 11a – 5p and Sundays 11 – 3.
Free I.T. Athens is always on the look out for…
- Desktop and laptop computers (please bring the power supply if you have it!)
- Mobile phones and tablets
- LCD Monitors
- Computer speakers
- Grounded extension cords
- Power strips
- PS/2 or USB keyboards and mice
- Hard drives
- Disc drives
- Cable and DSL modems
- Network routers and switches (home, office and enterprise variety)
- Battery backups
- Tools of all varieties. If it can open a computer, crimp a cable, test a part, etc. we probably want it!
- Office supplies (printer paper, pens, dry erase markers, clear tape are always appreciated!)
- Toiletries and cleaning supplies (toilet paper, paper towels, rags, glass cleaner, floor cleaner, hand soap)
Please note we are currently unable to accept CRT Monitors and Laser/inkjet printers due to ewaste recycling disruptions. If you have a monitor or printer that needs to be recycled, please take it to Athens Clarke-County’s Center for Hard to Recycle Materials.
Tips for a smooth donation
For the sake of time it is suggested that you organize or sort your donations in a manner that makes categorization easy.
If you are wanting a tax receipt, it is advised to have a written list of the items in question that are being donated; this will make your donation time quicker and will help our volunteers efficiently sort items.
We cannot provide a value for your receipt. The IRS assess tax deduction as the fair market value of the item at the time of donation. See Determining the Value of Donated Property on the IRS website for more information.
If you represent an organization or business with a large amount of hardware to donate, please email us to arrange a pick-up or drop-off. Keep in mind that we are an all-volunteer run organization, so our ability to pick up equipment varies.
Your personal data is secure
When you donate your computer to Free I.T. Athens, our volunteers remove its hard drive and put the drive through a data wiping process using free software called DBAN. DBAN removes data by writing random numbers to the disk.
After your data has been wiped from the hard drive volunteers will refurbish your computer using a free operating system called GNU/Linux. Your computer will either be granted to a volunteer for completing community service, sold to an individual or family that cannot afford a new computer, or granted to a non-profit organization/community group. If your computer cannot be refurbished, it will be recycled through a certified recycler. Don’t donate to recyclers without checking their certifications, they could be shipping e-waste overseas to be dumped!
Your donation makes a difference
Did you know…
- It takes 539 lbs of fossil fuel, 48 lbs of chemicals, and 1.5 tons of water to manufacture a single computer and monitor.1
- E-waste is the fastest growing municipal waste stream in America.2
- E-waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, however, equals 70% of overall toxic waste. Toxic chemicals found in electronics can damage the central and peripheral nervous systems, blood and kidneys.3
- 20 to 50 million metric tons of e-waste are disposed worldwide every year. 4
- Each year, 80 to 85% of electronics are thrown away.5
Support Free I.T. Athens Financially
Monetary donations are sincerely appreciated. You may donate via cash, check or card at the location, via mail (please mail donations to P.O. Box 81931 Athens, GA 30608), or electronic funds transfer. You may also donate using a credit card through the SQUARE link on the right hand side of this page.
Your donation will make a direct impact as we have absolutely no paid staff. We thank you for donating to Free I.T. Athens.
Free IT Athens, Inc. is a recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (EIN 27-2381518) so your donations made are tax deductible.
Other ways to support Free I.T. Athens
- Donate online through Square clicking this link or copy and paste -> https://free-it-athens.square.site
- Drop by the store and give in person! We’d love to meet you.
- Mail checks or money orders to P.O. Box 81931 Athens, GA 30608.
- By using AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase price to Free I.T. Athens. Learn how to select an AmazonSmile charity here.
- Enroll in Kroger Community Rewards, and Kroger will donate every time you use your Kroger Plus Card.
- Donate through Thrivent Choice.
- Organizations can donate through Benevity.
- Spread the word! Tell your friends, family, and peers about Free I.T. Athens